Thursday, October 16, 2008

Allow me to introduce myself!

I have been meaning to get onto my space for ages and there never seems to be enough time! I have finally set aside a few hours and got my page up and I am posting some blogs! So where does one begin when there is so much to say and not enough hours to catch up on all that I've missed?! Well, perhaps I should formally introduce myself first… My name is Melanie Lowe. I have been a professional singer for about 12 years now. However, that was taken to another level when I made it to the top three in South Africa's very first season of Idols which took place in 2002. Since then I have been fortunate enough to be able to give up my 9 to 5 day job as a computer software lecturer, and become a full-time singer. In a nutshell, the last 5 years have been spent co-writing and recording the 2nd season of Big Brother's theme song, Cabin Fever, for which I was awarded a SAMA (the highlight of my entire career!) I also recorded and released a duet with Garth Taylor, Islands in the Stream, which was very successful. I signed with Adventure Music Record Label and finally released my debut solo album, Yesterday's Diary. To read about that further click here… During the two years that I toured Yesterday's Diary, I found myself performing at quite a few afrikaans music festivals around the country. I often ended up being the only english artist performing there! I therefore decided I needed to sing an afrikaans song. However, being a songwriter, and a bit of a purist in that regard, I didnt want to sing somebody else's song, I wanted to write my own so I tried and it wasn't easy for a very english girl from Durban (affectionately known as the last british outpost!) The song turned out okay, despite a few rather glaring, grammatical errors! And so, after two years of thorough touring, I started working, not only on my second english album, Unspoken Truth which will be ready for release in just a few weeks but I also started recording an afrikaans single which was officially released 3 weeks ago:) The song is called As (afrikaans for "If") and the single is made up of two versions of As, a radio mix as well as a dance mix and then three of my english songs. I recently returned from my first tour and launch of the single in the Free State, which was very successful. In 3 days time I will be performing it for the first time at Innibos Kunstefees in Nelspruit, a very afrikaans music festival. It is always a bit intimidating being the only english artist at these festivals. Especially since I have had the cheek to record a song in a language that is not my home language and I am always nervous as to what the reception will be like but I guess I will find out soon enough! My intention is to try and do a little write up everytime I return from a tour so I will try and stick to that. For now I think I will leave it at that because this is turning into a short novel already! Until we meet again, keep living the music. Mel;)

No comments: