Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mel answers some of your questions

I had to do an interview for an afrikaans magazine and I thought I'd just put it on my blog because I get asked questions like this all the time and hopefully these will answer some of yours! 1. Tell us a little bit more about your Afrikaans song, "As". What inspired you to write it? I sing at many afrikaans festivals. I really love the atmosphere. I love the artists and most of all, I love the audiences. They have a passion and love for music that I can really relate to and that makes it fantastic to be on a stage in front of them. I wanted to give something back to them and, as I didn't sing any afrikaans songs, I thought I should try one. But I am a songwriter and I wanted the song to be my own style. So I decided to try and write one. It wasn't easy for me but I am happy with it as a first attempt! I just hope the audiences enjoy it! 2. What is the core of the message of the song? It's really just a love song. Everybody who listens to it can relate it some part of their lives, I'm sure. We've all been in love and we all want to be loved. 3. How do you feel about the success of Sweetest of rhymes? I'm so excited about it! I was on tour when I wrote it and who would've thought, when I sat down one day and poured my heart out on a scrap piece of paper, in a strange room, in a strange town, that that song would end up playing on radio stations around the country! It's incredibly humbling to know that my words are being listened to by 1000's of people. You never expect it to happen and when it does, it's just beyond words for me, as a songwriter. 4. And how would you describe the tone or atmosphere of your album Unspoken Truth? There is quite a mixture of songs, lyrically and musically but, to me, it has an all-over more positive feel to it than my first album. I think I was in a very good place when I was putting these songs together and I can feel it when I listen to it. I like to provoke my listeners a bit, and make their thoughts wander along with me through the lyrics and music and I think, and hope! maybe, we achieved that. 5. Where do your songs come frome? Describe the writing process, if you will. I really am not sure! People ask me all the time which comes first: music or lyrics and it's a chicken and egg scenario for me! I can't say. They just pour out. I can feel when I need to write. I'll get a melody in my head with some lyrics and my fingers will itch for my guitar and I'll run for my songbook and then the world disappears for a while. Generally that happens when I am in a moment of experiencing huge emotional upheavals of some kind, whether they are good or bad. Sometimes I look at it afterwards and wonder where it came from! I think the beauty of the creative process lies in it's complete lack of order and structure. It's so wonderfully organic! 6. The SA music industry is known for being fickle, full of ups and downs. What keeps you motivated? Sometimes it is hard and I often have to give myself a pep talk to keep moving forward. I've always been driven by a passion to get my songs heard. I want to find people who are willing to open their minds and listen to what I have to say. I can't tell you why it's so important to me. It just is! I have so many different audiences, all listening for different things at my shows. And some have not been so receptive to anything! But the ones that touch me are the ones that really listen to my songs. There only ever has to be one in the audience and that's enough to keep me going. And when I experience that feeling, there really is no question of whether or not I'll keep singing. My music is food for my soul, and how does a person survive without the thing that fulfills them the most? 7. How has your life changed since Idols? What do you know now that you did not know then? What is the most important thing you have learned? Wow, how much space do I have to write?! My life changed hugely just in terms of my own view of myself as an artist, and as a person. I don't think it's possible to walk away from something like that and not be changed. I grew so much stronger just from having to deal with daily criticism of the thing I loved to do most of all. I don't do it for approval. But I had to gain it anyway. I didn't do it to become famous, but I became famous anyway and I had to deal with having my life scrutinised and picked apart by anyone who wanted to. And it was very seldom done politely! I grew very thick skin and I had to learn that every comment made, was just the opinion of one person and wasn't necessarily true. Being on the other side of the fence has shown me that we are all only doing the best that we can, from the littlest, most unknown person, right up to Britney Spears. And that there will always be someone who thinks they can do it better. But I also learnt that there are people out there who really just live for the music, and that will always keep me bouncing back. 8. What is your motto, in business and in life? (if the latter seems to personal a question, please feel free to ignore it) The personal greeting on my phone since Idols has been "I can do this day". I really believe that life doesn't throw anything at you that you can't handle. Face every challenge head on and take every chance that is offered to you because you can do it. And how else will we grow, if we don't step outside of our boxes and push ourselves to the limit of our endurance. 9. Please complete: Before I die I would like to . . . Have one of my songs be a hit internationally and…Go to Tibet! I have a great weakness for . . . salt and vinegar popcorn and 70% cocoa lindt dark chocolate! The musician (local or international) that inspires me the most is . . . Nianell (local) and Tori Amos (International) What people don't realise about the music industry is that . . . Fortune doesn't always go hand in hand with fame Life is . . . a series of unknown adventures just waiting for you to take chances with!

No comments: